Monday, February 8, 2010

They’re All Good Horses

My wife told me the other day that one of her boarders wants to sell her horse. It’s a nice horse, well bred and purchased for about $12k.

My heart skipped a beat or two thinking about spending $12k on a beast, especially when we have more than a couple already. I suspect that my question of whether or not I could spend $12k on another automobile might elicit a slightly different reaction.

Our boarder was offering the horse at cost, ignoring the board and training the horse has received in the last two years.  On the open market, the horse would likely go for $20k+. Now I might be open to an investment of sorts, but we don’t necessarily have the contacts to sell the horse. That, along with one other fact, makes me think this isn’t a good idea.

My wife doesn’t like selling horses.

She tells me this is a “good horse” and would be great to show. Having lived with my wife for many years, and seen her work with many horses, I’ve come to one conclusion: they’re all good horses.

That argument didn’t exactly win me any points, and started another argument. Women and horses are certainly hard to live with.

1 comment: